Monday, January 24, 2011

Learning to ride- a snowboard


It’s hard to write about motorcycles when there’s snow on the ground and icicles hanging from the eves.  I don’t want to think about riding because I’ll just think about how much I miss it and sometimes I don’t want to think about what I can’t do- especially when I really want to be doing it.   Joe does ice riding but that’s a little too much work for me.   Several riders are also snowboarders and skiers- I’ve done a little of both and while it isn’t motorcycling, it’s a nice pass-time to get me through the Winter months. 

Mike loves snowboarding and goes out nearly every weekend.  He took a few of us out several weeks back.  I never made it off the beginner hill (calling it a hill is an exaggeration).  I couldn’t figure out how to position my body to get control of the board.  There was a guy on the same hill who rode his snowboard straight down the slope like a surfboard then dove for the ground at the bottom just before reaching the line of people waiting to get on the chairlift.  I don’t yet know how to snowboard, but I know how not to snowboard.  

When I was learning to ski, the first thing they taught us to do was to stop so we could stay in control of our skis.  It took me a few minutes to grasp the technique on skis.  The instructors next to me on the bunny hill were teaching young kids- 4 or 5 years old- to ski down the hill.  They kept saying “make a pizza!” to remind them to point their skis in a triangle shape to slow themselves down.  I wish snowboarding was as easy to pick up.  Four hours into it, I finally felt like I had some sense of how to control the stopping and starting, how to guide the snowboard into a turn.  At this stage of my learning I’m still focused on how not to hit something.  I look down the hill and see the group of people gathered at the bottom and all I can think about is how to stop myself so I don’t plow into them. 

When I was first learning to ride a motorcycle, I had the same fear.  There was so much for my body to remember:  clutch in with the left hand, front break with the right hand, rear break with the right foot, downshift with the left foot, put both feet down before I tip over.   Learning to snowboard, or learning anything really, is about this: how do I make my body do that?  How do I get my mind out of the way so I can enjoy it? I remember saying to a friend from RIDE in the first few years of riding: “I can’t wait until I don’t have to think about how to operate the bike so I can just enjoy the ride.”  Well, that time has come and I am grateful that stopping at least, is automatic .  

But learning how to operate the motorcycle is only the first step to learning how to ride.  Now I work on other skills and make adjustments to my riding style.  I want to be sure that what is automatic is actually what I want to be doing.   At last year’s Deal’s Gap trip, I worked on cornering by adjusting my entry and exit speed and changing my line through the corner.  I like being in RIDE because it encourages building skills like these.  We talk about gear,  how to safely ride in groups and how to improve handling and maneuvers.  I know some folks who are into stunt riding and others who ride for speed.  I appreciate the skills needed for all types of riding.  It’s also important to me to ride safely and in a way that doesn’t cause alarm to others I share the road with.  Speed and stunting can be threatening and make other drivers (and riders) nervous.   Some of my friends are sure to disagree with me on this but that’s alright, I guess.  I am a cautious rider and am aggressive when necessary to stay safe on the bike, but I’m also respectful.  Many people think bikes are dangerous.  I ride in a way that doesn’t fuel that perspective. 

I’m interested enough in improving my skills that I’m helping organize two RIDE Club education nights this Winter.  RIDE ed nights are also an excuse to meet with  other riders during the off-season to ease the wait through Winter until the weather warms up and the roads are clear.  The first event in February, we’ll be focusing on group riding techniques.   I’m eager to plan it.  It’ll give me something to do this Winter besides falling down the bunny hill with a snowboard strapped to my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment