Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gear Talk (or How to Make it through the Winter)

Although I haven’t been on my bike for months now, I continue to think about  riding.   A few weeks back, I went with a vanload of RIDE club folks to Chicago for the International Motorcycle show to “get my fix” just as the Winter blahs were encroaching. It was fun being out with the group I’ve shared so much of my riding life with.  Gary, Ken and I went to the Chicago show together several years ago- this year we attended again with other RIDE folks including a few new to the RIDE club.  We met up with people from two other chapters as well, including Jess and Andrew who relocated from GR to Elkhart a few years back.    While there, I sat on some bikes, looked at gear and outfitted myself with a few new things for the coming riding season.   I also found myself reviewing gear options for women with Gala.

Gala hails from Europe and has gear I’ve never seen before- she was unimpressed with the vendors here in the U.S. - noting how heavy the show is in cheap leather goods that are not fashionable or functional.  I take it for granted that I have to weed through the stuff that doesn’t suit me to find items that fit my riding style, personality, taste and preferences. For example, I love my Frogg Toggs® rain gear for the seam strength, breathability and easily compressed size but I remain frustrated with design flaws.  I was hoping this year’s model would include longer leg length with a sturdy zipper and elastic strap to hold the pants in place.   While they have made changes in the pant length, they have not incorporated the other changes.  Another issue for me remains:  tops and bottoms continue to be sold as suits rather than separately.  Because of this, I didn’t purchase new raingear after all.

Every motorcycle show I’ve attended has several vendors for custom-fit earplugs.  This year was no exception.  Michael and I asked for more information about them in hopes of understanding their popularity at the shows.  As it turns out, they offer some great benefits.  The biggest benefit is the molded earpiece that ensures a perfect fit.  Secondly, they can be made with wires to integrate them into use as earpieces for an mp3 player or phone.  Made from silicone, the earpieces are said to offer better protection against noise than is achieved with foam or plastic earplugs most commonly used.  While I can understand why someone would be drawn to these, the $70-$350 price tag seems unreasonable and was easy to resist.  I’d rather have another jacket for that price, than a pair of earplugs – especially since I seem to lose them so easily.  I have difficulty enough justifying the cost of good eyewear (also easily misplaced), let alone earplugs.

I’ve been searching for a small tank bag for many months now that I can use while commuting.  I’ve never had a tank bag and didn’t realize what I was missing out on until I borrowed a friend’s bike.  It’s very convenient- much easier than stuffing it all in my pockets or reaching around to my saddlebags.  I finally found one that’s just the right size and style for my Bonneville.  I’d spotted it while shopping on-line but hadn’t purchased it because I was unsure about the size.  I managed to find the exact bag hidden among a pile of gear at the show.  It’s big enough to hold a small bottle of water, a snack bar, my wallet, sunglasses and a camera.

My first Chicago motorcycle show was over 5 years ago.  At that time, women’s gear was new to the market and the only jackets available exclusively for women, were in powder blue and light pink.   While color options for women’s gear have changed considerably since that time – now available in teal, hot pink, yellow, brown and tan- manufacturers are still offering gear that is shaped for men but fit and accented for women.  What results, is a linebacker shaped jacket with topstitching in a floral pattern accented with rhinestones.  Designers have yet to learn to appeal to a wider range of women by changing their whole approach.  Simply shortening sleeve length to accommodate women and adding sparkle and butterfly detailing isn’t enough. 

Alpinestars is one company that has reached beyond the traditional in creating a line of motorcycle apparel that appeals to fashion as well as function.  The cut and fabric of their jackets blend into a wardrobe for appeal off the bike as well as on it.   This is a revolutionary approach to gear and I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to find their line at the show.    I did find one small start-up company offering leather jackets and suits for riders.  Although style wasn’t at a premium, function was- the company provided a few key pieces with astute design details related to function.  I wasn’t surprised to find that one partner in the company was a design engineer.  I put my name on a list to be notified about their upcoming demo suit for women. 

I am excited about what’s in store for motorcyclists as new gear becomes available and manufacturers continue to evolve their product line for a wider range of riders.  There may have been a time when fringed leather chaps and tiny triangles of leather were standard for female riders but I’m grateful that time has passed and there are other options.  Although riding apparel in particular continues to miss the mark on cross-over styling (into everyday wear), many companies are at least designing for women.  I was glad to see the Chicago show included a whole booth devoted to women riders but next year, I’d like to see it include a larger selection of gear with more diverse color and style options.  

Since talking with Gala about women’s riding gear at the show, I’ve had time to reflect more on our options.  I realize I’ve grown accustomed to the problems I’ve encountered in gear fit, function and styling.   I’ve just accepted it as normal.  Now I’m wondering what a trip outside the U.S. would yield.  I’ve shared my frustrations about women’s gear with other riders and have even talked about developing a line of gear that fits what I see missing.  I haven’t the vaguest idea how to start.  But the Winter months where I’m holed up waiting for the snow to clear and the weather to warm offer the perfect opportunity to dream about what’s possible.  I hope to find some bridge between my desire for safe, functional apparel that is stylish and simple.  Maybe that means I’ll have to design it myself, even if it’s only in my own mind.

1 comment:

  1. I can only agree, when finding gear for Amanda its a joke. But a few companies are starting to dabble. The alpinestar stella line is nice but very pricey. Teknic makes some decent stuff too. We found amanda a teknic 2pc suit for 200.00 at sportbiketrackgear.com. But I think more will come as the number of female rider has been increasing in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete