Saturday, March 5, 2011

Getting an Education

I have a second strategy for making it through the Winter doldrums.  I decided to help organize a few of RIDE Motorcycle club’s winter education nights.  I thought it would be a good review for me, a chance to learn a few more things and also thought it would help “keep the ride alive” through the cold weather season.   I decided along with Ken that I would focus on group riding skills.  We have some newer members and a group of women joining this Spring who are new to riding with a group so it was a natural place to start.  Part of the difficulty in structuring the discussion revolved around not knowing the experience level of the riders who will be joining us.  After talking about it with Ken and reviewing articles in hand and on-line, I finally decided on a comprehensive approach to the class.  While it wasn’t the most simple, it was the most complete, and it will give any rider new to our group a framework for what to expect when riding with us.  It also provides riders with some sound information about how to manage oneself on a ride. 

When I first started riding I had conflicting feelings.  I wanted other riders along in case I had questions or problems, but I didn’t want the pressure of going faster than I was comfortable with.  The best tip I got back then was to “ride your own ride.”  Traditionally this phrase is used to infer that each rider is responsible for his own safety on the bike.  Each rider has to watch for obstacles, road conditions and traffic signals and respond appropriately regardless of what the group is doing.  It's a warning to be mindful of one's own performance and to avoid falling into a group-think approach that could compromise one's safety.  Even at this most basic level, this is good instruction.  Making a rider responsible for his own ride means that he can't blame the group if he chooses to run a red light.  I took the instruction to "ride my own ride" to another level.  What it meant for me was to continue riding alone until I had conquered some of my other concerns.  I needed to feel comfortable operating the motorcycle before incorporating another's riding style and preferences into my ride.   Riding primarily alone or with one other rider initially, gave me the courage and practice I needed to feel comfortable in groups later on.  However, I have friends who are newer riders who prefer group riding rather than alone.  That is the beauty of such a simple directive: ride your own ride not only refers to being responsible for how you manage your bike on a ride, it also means how you manage your own desires and preferences. 

In researching skills for riding, I came to understand how critical it is to understand one key concept.  Riding with a group of people requires a unique set of skills.  Stunting, track riding, dirt riding and group riding all require different skills.  Because I “grew up” in RIDE, I didn’t particularly appreciate this concept until last year when I started riding more with others outside the club.  The first thing I noticed in riding with another group of friends was the sense of uncertainty and even frustration that would develop on rides.  I’d find myself thinking, “I just want to go home.”   What I’ve come to understand is that these feelings and the accompanying internal dialogue was a reflection of my discomfort on the rides.  It has taken the last month of reflection and preparation for the education night, for me to understand the root of these reactions. 

Riding with others who have the same understanding about what to expect on a ride and who regularly practice particular behaviors together, creates a framework for the ride that is predictable.  This approach supports the individual and the group as a whole.   Uncertainty is diminished and this allows for a relaxed baseline for each motorcyclist.   With that starting point, the challenge and thus excitement, is reserved for navigating the ride itself rather than negotiating around other riders.

Let me give some examples.  RIDE motorcycle members drive in an established pattern- we ride side-by-side in a staggered formation 1 second behind the closest rider in the opposite lane and 2 seconds behind the rider directly in front.  While this is not a fixed distance- it adjusts according to road conditions and when navigating through the “twisties”- it is the standard.   The ride pattern is strengthened with the use of particular roles on a ride – the leader, wingman and tail.  Riders in these roles serve particular functions that are known to the group and that promote a sense of safety because of their supportive functions. 

We use other strategies as well- a set of hand signals to communicate with, a pre-planned route that is reviewed with all participants prior to the ride and an unwavering commitment to safety – wheelies, stoppies and other stunts are expressly discouraged due to the distraction and sense of uncertainty they can create for other riders.  While this last factor is specific to our group, I have come to believe that any kind of framework for individuals and group functioning can improve the riding experience for those involved. 

I have several friends interested in racing and stunting – most of them get those interests met among riders who share the same focus.  So while they may not have “avoid excessive speeds” listed as a guide for how they operate as a group, they still adopt other parameters that make the ride safer, such as riding in a staggered formation or riding in a setting designed for their particular style of riding.  All of the long-time riders I know though, are clear about one thing in particular: riding with those whose riding style you know creates a more relaxed riding experience.  That doesn’t mean the ride isn’t challenging or stimulating- in fact, it means just the opposite.  The ride is exciting but the riders are calm rather than distressed or distracted by unpredictable riding. 

I offered my first ride education class last week at El Arriero to 15 riders in the club.  That’s a good turnout for any ride gathering.  The discussion went well with a few folks new to RIDE in attendance.  Detailing group skills was punctuated nicely with stories from long-time members Michael and Mark.  It gave us a chance to confront our own biases as we explored our group communication practices with Gala, who is unaccustomed to using hand signals and finds it an unwelcome distraction while riding.  Her input reminded me how important it is to practice new skills.   The signals we use to “talk” initially felt awkward to me, too, but now they are reassuring and contribute to a feeling of camaraderie.   

Reviewing strategies for group rides, gave me the basis I need for going forward in this next riding season.  I’m thinking it’s also pretty helpful in how I’m going forward in friendships.  I find myself focused on creating a framework in my relationships as well.   While I really enjoy the company of others, I also like being alone. Recognizing that sometimes I need a solo ride is an important part of understanding what it means to “ride my own ride” on the bike and in life.  When I say to a friend “I don't want to hang out tonight," what I'm really saying to myself is that I need some time alone.  In so doing, I’m creating space for myself and my desires.  Until recently, I had roommates.  Sharing my home with others became very stressful for me.   I found myself trying to coordinate sharing responsibility for upkeep of the house.  I was also trying to balance the need for privacy with socializing.  Much like my early riding experiences, when I am in the company of others, I tend to focus on their needs and desires and set my own on the back burner.  Although my need to be alone seemed to contradict my desire for companionship, I finally accepted that I need a lot of alone time.  Living alone is a part of how I ensure I get that time.  Since living alone again, I'm doing more with much less effort.  While I don't prefer alone time over time with friends - I need both- living with others for awhile helped me understand my limits.  Turns out, discerning my own preferences, is the best ride strategy I have both on and off the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment